There are several “secrets” to successful homemade beef or chicken stock. As you prepare yours, keep in mind these tips from our Test Kitchen.
- For a more flavorful broth, use a high proportion of meat/bones and vegetables to water.
- Be sure to use cold water when starting to make stock.
- During cooking time, if necessary, add just enough hot water to keep meat and vegetables covered.
- Bring the broth mixture to a boil slowly to help release more meat juices. An initial rapid boil tends to seal the juices into the meats.
- To remove the fat from hot meat stock, drop ice cubes into it. The fat will stick to the ice and can easily be scooped up with a spoon and discarded.